Saturday, March 22, 2008

Three Reasons Why Mistakes are OK!

One factor that prevents people from taking a risk or pursuing something new is the fear of making a mistake. Here are three reasons why mistakes are OK.

1. When we learn from mistakes.


We are all here to experience, learn, and grow. Mistakes are a great learning opportunity.

I remember the first time I ever did laundry when I was in middle school. I didn’t ask for any help and I pretty much threw every thing in the washing machine. When it was time to take out my clothing, all my whites weren’t white anymore. I had mixed both colored and white clothing. What a learning experience I tell you!

When I was in college, I always had the urge to save a few dollars by throwing everything into one load but I always remembered that childhood incident. I made sure not to repeat the same mistake.

2. When we make sure not to repeat mistakes.


When we have a “bad experience”, we try not to repeat that experience again. We learned our lesson, and that’s it, we never want to experience that again.

There are a few things I am definitely better at than cooking. When I experiment with a recipe for the first time, it sometimes doesn’t come out as I imagine it would be. Sometime I put too much of this or too little of that. What I like about cooking for me is it’s about trial and error and I learn as I go. Usually, the next time I make a dish, it is 10x better.

3. When mistakes are done in pursuit of our goals.

Edison did not invent the light bulb on his first try. If you have big dreams or goals, you might not get there on the first try. Keep on going. You are bound to make mistakes but you’ll eventually get to where you want to be.

No comments: