Wednesday, March 19, 2008

We Can Apply the Law of Attraction to Online Passwords!

If you are the average person, you have about 1,000,342 usernames and passwords to remember for your online accounts. OK, that might be a bit of an exaggeration but think of all the social networks, social media sites, online banking sites that you belong to, these usernames and passwords do add up.

I forget my username a lot. I’m constantly pressing the “Forgot Username” button. I try and use the same username but sometimes the username I want is already taken or the formats vary from site to site. For example, username must be at least six characters, username must contain at least three numbers, the letter “y”, and “3”. OK, that might have been a bit of an exaggeration again but you get the point! For the most part, I stick to the same password so at least that’s something easy to remember!

How does the average person come up with a password? Let’s see, what is your pet’s name? Where were you born? What year were you born? What is your spouse’s name? What is your kid’s name? Let’s try a combination of the year I was born + my social security number + the street I live on.

Since I’ve been doing some online marketing work for a few companies, I have had to create numerous accounts on social media sites, directories, etc on their behalf. I came up with a password, “test123”. It’s easy enough to remember so I like it.
Then I was thinking about it this morning and I realized if I apply the law of attraction to passwords, this might not be the best password to choose. “Test” implies that you are not certain, that you are unsure. Rather, I want everything that I do to be successful and I want to be confident. From now on, I’m going to think twice about my passwords. Perhaps, put the word “success” in there somewhere. 

No comments: